Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th June 2009, 09:55 AM

Firstly Hakan ,
I do agree with you that Qantas staff can be very rude , and patronising sometimes , not all , but at least the ones I dealt with previously,

But I do think that the right attitude can really help at check -in , when I flew to Osaka with Jetstar a couple of years ago , I had 29 kg , the check in assistant let me go with no charge , which was nice , but as this flight was 2/3 empty that's probably how i got away with it.

When I flew from Heathrow last year after living in London for 2 years , my total check-in weight was , 68 kg, inc, laptop,3 bags , everything else , Korean air called the manager , and I was told I would have to pay 400 pound , I told them that I have flown with them 3 times before and was a skypass member , and even though the flight was full they only charged me 80 pounds, I think a bit of diplomacy always works in these cases , as soon as you get rude or angry , you can't win,

as for quote A380 was ok, legroom non existant ), the A380 is a big plane it does'nt mean that everyone will have loads of legroom,
having flown a lot on 747's I always go for the seats right at the back , as there is only 2 seats instead of 3 , loads of room!
Old 5th June 2009, 12:28 PM

Hakan, a tip of advise generally people who cause problems and argue with staff at check-in will have little to no chance of getting an exit row

Rules are rules, if thats the Baggage Policy, you bought the ticket and agreed to those rules when you purchased the ticket. Its allllllllll in the good old T+C's! If you decide when you get to check in, you want a different set of rules to the other 100+ people on the flight unfortunately thats tough.

The baggage limit used to be 2 X 32 to the states. Im guessing it was changed due to skyrocketing fuel prices and unfortunately heavy bags= increased weight and increased weight = increased fuel. It's more than fair to be charging excess baggage.

Having said all of that, if you booked the ticket when the old policy (2X32) was in effect and you have the old T+C's to prove it, you may have a point and it may just be worth just writing in.
Old 5th June 2009, 01:02 PM

Hakin

Judging from all your complaints and from what you have told us it seems your only problem was you just flew at the "wrong time of the month"

Benjo
Old 5th June 2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan I View Post
further to this i was not assigned an exit row (which was available as i was there very early)
How did you know it was available? Did you ask?

Maybe they didn't give it to you because you were rude, can happen... most probably they were rude because you were rude to them!
Old 5th June 2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague S View Post
yea..but that doesn't answer how money makes it less of an OH&S issue.

how giving cash solves OH&S or solves an injury that may or may not occur is beyond me.
Frankly I'm not surprised it's 'beyond you'. Firstly the fee discourages passengers from having bags with excessive weights thus reducing the number of these bags. Secondly who do you think pays for workers injured from lifting all these bags - ultimately the employer is responsible for compensation.

I have little respect to people who argue with check-in agents, having been a check-in agent myself at Sydney for a ground handler (a worldwide GHA). I for sure treated very well the passengers who are nice to me. In fact I managed to assign aisle seats for a family of 6 on a light transpac flight so they had free seats next to them and I was commended for my customer service. On another occasion I managed to get a Disney Mickey Mouse pin from a passenger.

Ask yourself how many seats are on the aircraft and how many of those are exit row seats - then get a reality check. What is the probability of you getting one?

I also have little time for passengers who whine at the check-in counter. Next please....
Old 5th June 2009, 09:31 PM

Hakan,
You were lucky my wife has resigned from QF at Mel, passenger complaints were dealt with by retagging baggage to another destination and sitting you in the middle seat between some "larger" passengers.
If you want something from check in staff always smile and be polite - works most times.

Last edited by Jon B; 5th June 2009 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Too wordy
Old 5th June 2009, 09:50 PM

Does the OP know what a sentence is? Sheesh, that was hard to follow..
Old 5th June 2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
Hakan,
You were lucky my wife has resigned from QF at Mel, passenger complaints were dealt with by retagging baggage to another destination and sitting you in the middle seat between some "larger" passengers.
If you want something from check in staff always smile and be polite - works most times.
Anyone who retags a bag to an alt destination deliberately to get back at a pax should be fired and then have to repay the cost of repatriating the baggage. Imho of course.
Old 5th June 2009, 11:24 PM

now I know why you were a checkin agent.

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX

Last edited by Montague S; 5th June 2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old 5th June 2009, 11:35 PM

At the end of the day why anyone would want to travel with 28kg's of baggage if they are not migrating to another country is beyond me. I am on a 5 week Euro vacation at the momment and feel like ive got far too much with 13kg's even.