Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th April 2008, 08:21 PM

no press is bad press ..

just look at the share price
Old 9th April 2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Flood View Post
She arrived at the terminal at 1755 for an 1845 flight then joined the Jetstar queue at 1810.
Floody
Hmmm I wonder what she did in the 15 minutes between arriving at the terminal and joining the queue to check in last time i used MCY that took about 5 seconds. She should have joined the queue when she arrived then she would have been fine serves her right for joining the queue 5 minutes before cut off time.
Old 9th April 2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Flood View Post
Where does it say she turned up 15mins prior to departure??
She "joined the sole Jetstar queue just before 6.10pm" so 35 mins before departure according to her!

Jetstar "Ms Pregellio said she understood Ms Henderson arrived 15 minutes prior to the scheduled time of departure"

So anywhere from 15-35 mins based on who you want to believe.

Either way she gave herself 5 mins to get through the queue
Old 9th April 2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Waters View Post

As much as we don't like the media, the continual media bashing on this board seems to go on and on and on like a bad record.

Paul
Well, considering how many passengers miss their flights everyday around Australia - is this passenger's experience with Jetstar make it more worth reporting than all the other ones?

And secondly, articles like these aren't 'news' - what is new about it that we have not heard of before? I'm damn interested to see the actual number of articles published by the press for this year alone, especially for Jetstar.
Old 9th April 2008, 10:03 PM

Okay - So how does the media get hold of such a story and why is it published.

People that generally are after the cheapest fare, who don't fly often expect the world. They are the ones that make the most noise when something goes wrong. No doubt ringing the local talk back radio, ringing the news papers etc etc. Eventaully they will get a reporter out of stories and it gets published.
Old 10th April 2008, 12:50 AM

Default Is it just because it's new?

Folks,

Does it make the papers because Australians in general still aren't used to the concept of Low Cost Travel, or more specifically, the whole concept of a low cost airline? Compared with the US and Europe, it's still a relatively new concept for Australia.

Remember that a great number of the Australian public have only ever experienced the (relatively) full service of Qantas, Ansett and TAA over the years. These are the only comparisons they can draw. To many of these people, and airline is an airline. Differences are semantic in their eyes.

I believe this sort of stuff will eventually disappear once the low cost revolution has become an Australian norm.

Apart from the same old on TV shows like Airline or Airport, I hardly see anything being written about this type of incident as a 'news' article in the US or Europe.

03JUL09 PER/MEL QF776 B763 VH-OGJ
10JUL09 MEL/LST QF2285 Q400 VH-QOR
17JUL09 HBA/MEL QF1012 B73H
17JUL09 MEL/PER QF481 332

Last edited by Scott Loveday; 10th April 2008 at 12:59 AM.
Old 10th April 2008, 06:48 AM

Every working day I get to witness last minute arrivals at the Qantas, Virgin, Jetstar and Tiger departure gates.

97% of pax do the right thing , there always seems to be someone who mucks it up. Rarely is it an individual, often a group of 3 or 4.

A common reason is that they did not hear the boarding announcement in the bar.

Often they check in and then leave the terminal.... ( to do what? ) Go home again?
Old 10th April 2008, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Zweck View Post
Often they check in and then leave the terminal.... ( to do what? ) Go home again?
Well you see.. I did that one day, checked in, then went to visit a mate in the Control Tower. So my bags were on board (good), if they'd called for start / airways clearance I could have fixed that and got the controller to say wait for the last pax. When I got to the terminal 10 min before ETD the staff were all a flutter. I think it was East-West, and THEIR idea of on time was to be wheels off at the time on the schedule, unlike most operators where that is the brake release time.

I did feel guilty as I walked down the aisle of the BA46 to the last row, with the rest of the pax strapped in & waiting.....
Old 10th April 2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I could have fixed that and got the controller to say wait for the last pax
There's nothing like knowing the right people, is there, Speedy???