Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th November 2010, 07:16 PM

Quite true Jack. We in Australia have been spoilt for years and years, but still complain about how crap it is. Maybe if people were to go off shore and sample what else is out there they may begin to understand the real value of what the likes of Qantas do.

I have been living in Europe for the past 4 years and have flown about 60 return trips around Europe, all on full service carriers. Based on that I can say that what Qantas offers on similar length flights around Australia is MILES ahead of what is on offer around Europe in both business and economy class.

The airlines I have flown are: BA, Iberia, SAS, Croatian, BMI, Aer Lingus (yes no longer full service), Air France, SAS, Cyprus Airlines, Alitalia, Air Malta, Austrian, LOT and Malev.

Of those airlines NONE (except Cyprus on their A330's) offer any IFE what so ever on their short haul (3 hours or less) routes. Qantas at least has a video and music on most of their compareable length flights. Meals on most of the carriers is non existant at any time of day in economy, most just have a drink and a small snack.

The best of them for me in business has been SAS, followed by Iberia. Cyprus was good, but the route I flew them on was more like a SYD-PER flight so a step up again. But by comparision I have been on BA flights of the same length (LHR-Athens) and it was CRAP.

As for the US, well the less that is said about their standards the better I say.

We really are lucky to have what we have...
Old 21st November 2010, 07:29 AM

The recognition of FF's in economy was in place early last week. I flew BNE-SYD and was addressed personally after presenting my boarding pass at the gate and again once walking through the door of the aircraft.

A nice touch. Thank you Qantas!
Old 21st November 2010, 10:24 AM

If that is what they mean by personal recognition I have been having this for the last 2 years. I thought they meant something else but perhaps I am mistaken? Or is it just being extended to other FF?
Old 21st November 2010, 10:55 AM

I assume it is now being extended to all FF regardless of status.
Old 22nd November 2010, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Food is easier to implement than seats and IFE
it is a real pity because of the ongoing delays with the 787s.. if the 787 was ontime they probably could have been flying some domestic sectors by now
Old 23rd November 2010, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Murray View Post
The recognition of FF's in economy was in place early last week. I flew BNE-SYD and was addressed personally after presenting my boarding pass at the gate and again once walking through the door of the aircraft.
Just out of interest, how are we defining this being "addressed personally" business?

Last time I flew Qantas (at Easter and I'm not a FF member), I was addressed as "Mr S....".

Whenever I fly DJ (and I am a Velocity member), it's always "Welcome back Robert!"

As for the overall change, I notice there are no changes to the "lunch" offering in economy in this revamp... had my whinge on that previously, so won't repeat it... http://yssyforum.net/board/showpost....7&postcount=17

Last edited by Robert S; 23rd November 2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old 23rd November 2010, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Complimentary Bar from 4pm on all CityFlyer flights
so does that mean the Perth flights now revert to 4pm? or does it commence from noon?

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Old 23rd November 2010, 06:10 AM

Perth Cityflyer still free bar from noon.

Crew have always recognised FF's at gate with surname and welcome back. Maybe not all do it, but most do. Qantas always use surnames. No first names.

As part of the refresh all crew in Y class are to identify&acknowledge 5 FF's at any stage of the flight.

Hope this helps answer any Q's.
Old 23rd November 2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Zheng View Post
I really hoped they improved their domestic breakfast offerings. Hate it when they only offer you cereal and a banana.
Yes, bring back the hot brekky! I can remember as a kid that smell that would come up the aisle when the flight attendents brought out the trolley. Eggs, bacon, sausages.... Sure beats a pathetic little cereal and banana.
Old 23rd November 2010, 10:15 AM

I heard that the domestic 767/737s will be getting the new style "red" economy seat covers like the 380/744?

Is this correct?

Anyone know more?

Thanks