Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 14th May 2011, 04:56 PM

Had a great time there, a fair bit of variety and a beautiful day helped

Here's a few pics... nothing too flash.

Dan did a great job in organising this fly-by!

I like the 'thumbs up' of approval by the guy standing in front of the JETCAR

Dan

04/09/14 QF129 SYD-PVG A333 VH-QPG :: 08/09/14 CX367 PVG-HKG 77W B-KQO :: 13/09/14 QF128 HKG-SYD A388 VH-OQH
29/09/14 QF556 SYD-BNE 763ER VH-OGO :: 30/09/14 QF008 BNE-SYD 744ER VH-OEG
Old 15th May 2011, 10:46 AM

Also, on a slightly related note, Nearmap (www.nearmap.com) tweeted that they were flying the Bankstown, Liverpool region yesterday. So I would expect their next update for that region will be quite interesting as it will include/document the Aviation & Car show

Dan

04/09/14 QF129 SYD-PVG A333 VH-QPG :: 08/09/14 CX367 PVG-HKG 77W B-KQO :: 13/09/14 QF128 HKG-SYD A388 VH-OQH
29/09/14 QF556 SYD-BNE 763ER VH-OGO :: 30/09/14 QF008 BNE-SYD 744ER VH-OEG
Old 15th May 2011, 10:06 PM

Don't mean to be a party pooper... but I was a little bit disappointed by the show. I was expecting a lot more models... but I could have seen more models by going to a Hobbyco store which wouldn't have cost me anything to get in.
Old 16th May 2011, 08:55 AM

I couldn't go, as I pretty much live near the Victorian border, but would have loved to, if not for the aircraft models (Which really, I'm not that into), but to get upclose to some very nice cars, and by the looks of it, a DC-3 (Infact, I'd do anything for the chance to get upclose to an airworthy DC-3 for some photos!). Definitely worth the value for money!

Hopefully I'll be around next year to make the trip!

Last edited by Maikha Ly; 16th May 2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old 16th May 2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel F View Post
Don't mean to be a party pooper... but I was a little bit disappointed by the show. I was expecting a lot more models... but I could have seen more models by going to a Hobbyco store which wouldn't have cost me anything to get in.
I normally reply with an explanation but hey I cant please everyone mate, next year visit Hobbyco instead...
Something you need to understand is we have to cater to many needs where as you have attended with one need (Models).
To those who enjoyed the show and there were many come along again next year it will be bigger and better!

Sydney Aviation Shop
Old 16th May 2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Rizk View Post
Something you need to understand is we have to cater to many needs where as you have attended with one need (Models).
No, I attended the show because the title of this thread was "Sydney Aviation Model Show May 2011". The website was also called sydneyaviationmodelshow.com.au. So I don't know how it would be unrealistic to expect there to be models!
Old 16th May 2011, 10:15 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

Dan, I flew out to Orange on Sunday morning and on the way back into Bankstown I heard an aircraft talking to the tower about airwork overhead Bankstown at 6000ft. When they finished the Bankstown work they were moving further north, Homebush from memory, again at 6000ft. I assumed it was Google however Nearmap sounds like the answer.

As I taxied back in along Alpha 3 past the Model Show, I saw the small jet powered car parked alongside the taxiway. I parked on the grass directly opposite, shutdown and completed the paperwork, then heard this enormous roar. As I stepped out of the aircraft the car had a 5 metre plus flame out the back, which then turned into an even larger plume of white smoke as they throttled it up and down (as in your photograph above). I saw the same car last year but did not see it running, this was an amazing sight, and I was a little surprised that there was no safety car around to stop aircraft taxiing past.

I had a quick walk around the show, checked out the models, the aircraft and some very nice cars in the hanger.
Old 16th May 2011, 11:06 PM

Grahame,

yes that sounds like Near Map. C210 VH-ZID based at Bankstown as well as others dotted over the east coast.
Old 17th May 2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel F View Post
No, I attended the show because the title of this thread was "Sydney Aviation Model Show May 2011". The website was also called sydneyaviationmodelshow.com.au. So I don't know how it would be unrealistic to expect there to be models!
Like I said before if you were so disappointed and felt you didnt get value for your $12... take up your own advice and visit hobbyco next year.
I run and organise the show on my own and even if I say so myself I think the show was a great event.
With well over 2000 people attending over the weekend we must be doing something right.
There is room for improvement and I have no problems accepting constructive feedback but I wont accept people having a go...

Sydney Aviation Shop
Old 17th May 2011, 10:26 AM

Dan F,

How about this one- the SYDNEY airport message board doesn't Only speak about Sydney lol! Honestly mate I think your being a bit harsh to Danny who really runs a one man show on events like these.. I'd have no hesitation in paying 12 bucks ...
Closed Thread