Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd December 2009, 07:25 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

I remember flying Sydney - Melbourne in an East West F27 and I was sitting in the window seat aligned with the prop, which looked a little to close for comfort to me. This was in the days of the two airline policy (TAA and Ansett) and East West had to stop at Albury so they were not competing directly. From memory it was about 3hr all up and we had to do a go around in Melbourne because of low cloud and fog.

Still enjoyed that flight and another East West F27 flight from Sydney to Tamworth. Some years later I also did the Ansett F50 from Sydney to Wagga Wagga, returning in the Baron to Bankstown as we did not finish our work in time. To top of the Fokker trifecta, I also manager a few flights in East West F28, again Sydney - Melbourne.
Old 22nd December 2009, 07:33 PM

OK, if we're all reminiscing.....

That first F27 flight was a "mystery flight" to...... Wagga Wagga, with Airlines of NSW. Oh for the days of being invited into the cockpit on descent (I was about 8).

My most recent F50 flight was in 1998, KLM Cityhopper, Norwich to AMS

Kent
Old 22nd December 2009, 08:10 PM

My first ever flight was on a F27 from Maryborough to Bundaberg. I remember I saved all my pocket money for the flights and had some serious talking to do before my parents would let me go by myself (I was about 12 I think). Cost was $72 each way and that was a heap of money back in '73. My memory now sucks but I still remember every minute of that flight!!
Old 22nd December 2009, 09:00 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Broadhead View Post
OK, if we're all reminiscing.....

That first F27 flight was a "mystery flight" to...... Wagga Wagga, with Airlines of NSW. Oh for the days of being invited into the cockpit on descent (I was about 8).
As a trainee ATC in (well let's not go there... before a lot of you were born!) I did a week with East-West on cockpit rides. the F27 was a lot of fun to fly by the look of it and the jump seat was a fun place to be. I have interesting memories of a SY - AY (maybe WG but I think AY) flight, AY was fogged in (hardly a surprise in winter I think) and so they shot a few interesting approaches (local knowledge is good) before giving up and diverting to Corowa. The crew (& me) dug in and offloaded the bags onto the baggage trolley (the only indication that it was a diversion field) before the coach from AY with the outbound passengers and the ground agent arrived.
Ahh the good old days of a 'family' or small type operator. The interaction between the tech & cabin crews was great, they all knew each other & got on well.

Last edited by Mark D; 22nd December 2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 22nd December 2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
AY was fogged in (hardly a surprise in winter I think)
Nothing's changed there!