Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th February 2010, 10:35 AM

Default Aussie Airport GSE etc, From the 60's~late 70's.

Hi all, hope someone can help me with this.

I collect mainly 400 scale diecast airliners and are getting made in 400 scale, various airside vehicles that operated around the 60's through to late 70's. These will be cast in white metal, and done as accurately as possible, so I am looking for photos of mobile steps, catering trucks, fuel tankers, tugs, pushback and many other equipment photos from back then, so they can be replicated in 400 scale. Finding actual specs is even harder, but already a Clarktor 6 tug and baggage barrows have been done, so now chasing all vehicles and equipment used during a turnaround. Also fire trucks/tenders such as Thornycroft Nubian, the 6 wheelers common at most airports and others, of course that may have been used. Have found a few photos, hopefully some of you may have some good clear shots from back then and recent / current GSE picts would also be appreciated, although the main focus is on circa 60-70. hope you can help, especially if you have basic specs for the vehicles, Thanks all, Steve K
Old 18th February 2010, 01:18 PM
Prolific Member

Have a look at the domestic tugs being used at Sydney...I reckon many of the older QF tugs would be from the 60's and 70's. Ansett had their fair share of oldies too, some of which are still in service with other Sydney operators.

No doubt other airports around the country are the same.
Old 19th February 2010, 08:05 AM

Still looking for picts and info about the GSE, Clarktor tug and barrows have been made and a couple of cars but certainly after fuel tanker, fire tender and other airside vehicle photos & specs, hopefully someone has some good shots. Steve K
Old 19th February 2010, 10:02 PM

Looking for GSE huh? I can give you a BUS and a TUG.......

First, le Bus. Ex Ansett and still going strong!

Second, let's see a bloke enjoying his Tug....... (Ansett Blue Hotel on the left and an un-named unit on the right)

For more pictures of the bus visit the following link, there is a picture of the driver getting a good old fashioned lecture from a security guard

The Ex Ansett Shuttlebus
Old 20th February 2010, 07:49 AM

Here are some more ex Ansett GSE that still live on today.
Old 20th February 2010, 08:17 AM

Thanks guys, The TK Bedford steps is exactly what in after!!! They will get made and so will the Douglas Tugs, we had them in Adelaide for many years. Does anyone have shots of the earlier long nose steps that Ansett used in late 70's on? BEDFORD cab.
The other one is the Hastings-Deering mobile steps, on a car like chassis (looked a bit like a batmobile) they were used all around Australia for the smaller jets, I have some diags of them, but no measurements for them. A big thank you for your photos, a great help!! At least in 400 scale, we can get away with a bit of guess work, but working from specs is much better for accuracy. A clarktor tug is completed, and looks great! Baggage barrows and optional loads too, so GPU, Airstart units and toilet/water trucks, especially on the Ford F100? F350 chassis and earlier years versions too. Thanks all!!
Old 21st February 2010, 06:38 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Murray View Post
Second, let's see a bloke enjoying his Tug....... (Ansett Blue Hotel on the left and an un-named unit on the right)
The unit on the right is none other than fat b@stard, and former posting board member Timmsy.

Don't know what the tug was called.
Old 22nd February 2010, 08:12 AM

Steve,

Give Paramount Browns on Cavan Road a ring, think they might have one of those mobile steps, there is also one in the Darwin Museum with " Ansett-ANA " on the side.

Probably made by Ford as the instrument panel looks very much like a Ford Falcon from the mid-60s

Give me a ring, I think you might have my number.
Old 22nd February 2010, 09:46 AM

Steve, any chance YOU can post some pics of the completed 1/400 GSE???
Old 22nd February 2010, 11:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul f. View Post
Here are some more ex Ansett GSE that still live on today.
Mmmmmm Tug 14 *drools*