Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th December 2011, 10:58 AM
Prolific Member

Hate to see what the car parking fees will be to pay for all of this .

You guys in the morning will have to car pool ???
Old 6th December 2011, 12:11 PM
Prolific Member

If there's going to be long term benefits for the airlines as well as the airport, then you would reasonably expect the airlines would be happy to help the airport fund the upgrades, but to what degree would be anyones guess. I would think there'll be some degree of cost recovery happening from all parties, not just the airport.

Lloyd, I believe car parking fees have actually been lowered in recent months.

Last edited by Nigel C; 6th December 2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 6th December 2011, 09:29 PM

I'm not too sure with the split international setup for Qantas+Partners. It would've been more logical to make T3 all International building extra piers to north where the existing Jetbase is. Moving Domestic operations to T2 building additional piers to the east as required.

And at Virgin + Partners there seems to be a disproportionate ratio between Domestic and International. I doubt they could fit their current Domestic operations in the space they've been allocated. They'll probably need the entire Pier C for Domestic while VA/NZ/SQ/EY International + any others would have squeeze where gates 30-38 currently are
Old 7th December 2011, 06:07 AM

Again, the whole thing is a concept, so take the 'detail' in the fly-over movie with a grain of salt. I seriously doubt they have planned to the gate who will be going where etc.
Old 7th December 2011, 08:03 AM

A few years ago when the extensions to the Int'l terminal kicked off I was talking to the former CEO of YSSY and he suggested that the freight terminal would be where the Int'l terminal would further extend to, and the jetbase would be where the Dom terminal extended to.

He also suggested the vacant land across the road from the jetbase in Mascot (near the canal) could become the new freight terminal, that the GA area would become a maintenance area, and that GA would move down to between the two north-south runways south of GH Drive.

Amazing how it's all changed, and just goes to show how fluid the master plan is until work starts...
Old 7th December 2011, 12:18 PM

Chris D, your spot on about special interest groups and their effect on capital works !

God NIMBY's drive me up the wall !

Just on your point regarding the rail link, good luck in getting something in place there ! the one they have at the moment is a massive screw up considering you pay something close to $11 just to ENTER THE STATION !

Something i would like to see is a type of satelite parking station, away from the Airport linked with a high freq mass transit system similar to that of terminal 5 at heathrow......But i don't want to be tooooo forward thinking there
Old 7th December 2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
God NIMBY's drive me up the wall
...until someone starts doing something in your backyard you don't like. Don't tar all so-called NIMBYs with the same brush!

Quote:
Something i would like to see is a type of satelite parking station...
Heathrow is located on the outskirts of London, so there is land around the airport to put carparks. Where would you do it for Sydney???
Old 7th December 2011, 02:01 PM

Ok so not all Nimbys are there for annoyance purposes only, but still....

Where would they put satelite parking?

Well there is the container storage to the north of the airport (behind Ikea) as well as other industrial/storage land along the creek.

The corridor created by the freight line can be utilised for the Hi freq mass transit.

The Princess highway and cannal road can be utilised for access to this area thus freeing up the airport precinct of congestion.

Like i said, i don't want to forward think too much :P
Old 7th December 2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Facchini View Post
Like i said, i don't want to forward think too much :P
You'd fit right in with the government, then
Old 7th December 2011, 08:36 PM

The link between T2 & T3 is an obvious option but is there some sort of heritage order on the old tower on the original TAA terminal?