Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th July 2008, 05:39 PM

Chris, my choice to apply for the cadetship runs along the lines of going to uni, simply because I have always seen it as something important for me - although I'm aware that this is not everyone's opinion, and the ability to pursue that whilst at the same time engaging in flying, which as always been the penultimate for me, makes this program worthwhile for me to apply for.

For many (not all) young people who want to have a crack at flying for a living, the QF cadetship has always been a shining light in a barren land - at least that was the reception I got at TAFE. Those who are serious about their flying apply for the course, and those who are knocked back still go at it under their own steam, and I know people currently doing this and enjoying it thoroughly.

N
Old 31st July 2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Russell. I'd steer clear of Basair as far as possible. Have first hand experience with them and to say it's dismal would be tame!
Thanks for that Chris, I'll take your advice and stick with Aerospace in that case.

Anyone applying for BAv Aviation at UNSW? I also found a course at Edith Cowan Uni (ECU) in Perth, but I'm having second thoughts about applying since its just a tad to far away.

Still not sure whether I will apply for Swinburne or Griffith (either through QF or "under my own steam") since I really want to do medicine (although UMAT was one of the hardest tests I've ever done in my life - any med students out there, you'd know what I'm talking about).

At this stage, all I want is my PPL for recreational flying.
Old 2nd August 2008, 08:54 PM

Regional Express have a cadetship going aswell if i remeber correctly. Supposed to be based down in Victoria somewhere

http://www.rex.com.au/cadetpilot/Default.aspx
Old 16th August 2008, 01:21 PM

The OHA is $150 non-refundable. What about the Psychometric assessment ($195)? Is that non-refundable as well? It doesn't actually say whether it is or isn't or the QF website, but it does say that it is taken at the applicant's external expense.

I don't think I'll be applying for Edith Cowan University (B Aviation) - it seems to far away.

I'm considering the following private schools (I only want to get a PPL posssibly with NVFR):
Aerospace Aviation (did my TIF with them on 26th Jan)
Airborne Aviation
Aerodiamond (Camden)
Whitworth Aviation
Proflite
Schofields Flying Club
RAAF Richmond Flying Club

Also, does anyone know whether Sydney Aviation College is any good considering or is it mainly for people who want to get a CPL and beyond (i.e career as a pilot in future)?

Cheers