Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th May 2009, 05:52 PM

Default What cost index......

...... are JQ, VB and QF using at the moment. From knowledge the key was on fuel savings during the peak of fuel prices but seeing prices are 1/3 of those seen last year what cost index are the major carriers using on domestic sectors and intl sectors at the moment?
Old 7th May 2009, 07:40 PM

Hey Nick,

atm I think VB are using 12 and PB are using 30. last time I heard QF were using 100
Old 7th May 2009, 08:48 PM

Remember to compare apples with apples - different aircraft types = different cost index for the same result.

Also remember schedules haven't changed, so the cost indecies won't move that much unless the schedules do.

Some airlines also modify the C.I to be the lowest that meets the scheduled time, which makes sense to me.
Old 8th May 2009, 09:36 AM

What is the "average" cost index for the main two domestic types being the 738 and 763?
Old 8th May 2009, 11:10 AM

On the 767 cost index 40 seems to feature a lot, 20 pops up from time to time too, as does 60.
125 and 250 are still used should regaining or maintaining schedule be critical.
Old 8th May 2009, 11:24 AM

I am not sure if it was here, or elsewhere but someone claims their carrier uses a cost index of 500 for all outbound flights on the 77L. Seems quite a large number especially on that particular model as opposed to a cost index of 50 for all inbound flights.

Appreciate your response Chris, I was anticipating something around the 50 mark for the 767 so at least I was in the ball park.
Old 8th May 2009, 12:00 PM

The problem is knowing the effect it has on that particular model.

It also depends very much on schedule construction... if there is a reason to get the aircraft from SYD to SIN in minimum time, say curfew, or the ability to do it 2 pilot instead of 3, then CI 500 might be financially adventagous. Same goes for being able to fly the inbound leg slower.

CI is just a figure, and unless you know the relationship between them, then you can really only compare say QF 737 vs VB 737, as the 767 figures will be wildly different.

The scheduled flight time, especially domestically, doesn't change a lot, and a change in CI doesn't have THAT much effect on the time or fuel burn for the sector.

Longhaul it is a different story, due to the large difference in time and fuel that a CI change can make.
Old 8th May 2009, 12:47 PM

Who has the final say in what CI is used? The airline or the pilot?
Old 8th May 2009, 02:01 PM

The airline usually run a flight plan based on their desired cost index, taking into account all the usual reasons re: fuel availablity, schedule, winds, weight etc.

It is upto the flight crew (captain) to actually fly the aircraft, however, and can adjust the aircraft's speed as they see fit. The airline will usually provide guidelines as to how they would like the aircraft operated, and the crew will stick to that unless they have a good reason to do otherwise.

The pilot always retains the final say.

Last edited by Owen H; 8th May 2009 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 8th May 2009, 07:01 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks Owen