Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th January 2011, 10:24 PM

Default Travelling with your camera gear.

I have a trip to Singapore and Japan coming up soon. I'm flying Jetstar, and they only allow 10kg for onboard luggage. I was planning on taking my camera bag which weighs more. I don't want to risk putting any lens or the frame in the main luggage as it might get damaged or lost. Or is it safe to put it in the main luggage bag? Is there an option to pay a fee and take the camera bag on board? Another option I read is where people just buy a cheaper zoom lens just to take for travelling purposes. I was planning on spending a few days taking some photos. I would like to use my current gear rather than buying a lens just to travel (not that it is in my budget). Anyone else come across this issue? I guess I can just leave the bag and just take the camera and lens together in a light shoulder bag.
Old 6th January 2011, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Hi Tony,

I usually travel with mine in checked luggage, I basically pack my camera bag inside my suitcase and make sure it's well padded, however the airline takes no responsibility for any loss/damage to it, so make sure your travel insurance covers it. I've taken my gear on a fair few trips, including Canada via Japan in this way without a problem.

Besides the fact that it is officially too heavy for carry on, it's always a hassle at security anyway.

Jetphotos.net Shots
Airliners.net Shots
Old 7th January 2011, 07:05 AM

Hey Tony,

I took my camera, including my 80-400 lens, throughout Europe in March - May without a problem at all. I had the big lens (incl its own case) in my backpack, the camera body with the stock lens as well. I also had my laptop there as well! In the very center of my checked baggage, I had my camera bag, with other filters and stuff well padded around.

I had no issues going through security etc with it (I obviously had to take out laptop) and was never asked to have it all weighed... Being EK, I do not know if it had anything to do with it, over JQ, who knows! On a return flight from Melbourne on Sunday, it was the first time I have ever seen a boarding passenger sopped to have a bag weighed, and then she was told it would have to go in as checked luggage! This was a DJ flight, so maybe things are a changing!!!

But I also echo David's comment, travel insurance coverage is a must! Have a great trip...

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 7th January 2011, 10:08 AM

If you think that your bag is significantly heavier, it is probably best to plan a way to either reduce what you carry, or back it well into a suitcase - because if you get to the gate and they say that it has to go into the hold, you won't be happy just putting your standard camera bag down the slide.

Also remember that you cannot have spare lithium batteries in the hold of the aircraft (only the one in the body itself), and those that you take in the cabin(as many as you want) must be individually protected.
Old 7th January 2011, 01:27 PM

as long as it fits into the baggage size unit, they don't look twice at you, My back pack comes in around 5 kilo but fits withing the unit, I could fit much more in.
Old 7th January 2011, 02:07 PM

Thanks for the input everyone.

David. I will check my travel insurance to see if it does cover for any consequence of packing it into my checked luggage such as loss or damage. At minumum I like to keep the frame and 17-55 on me for inflight shots on landing etc. Tripod, lens etc can go in the checked bag.

The last time I was is Japan (before I bought most of my photo gear) I also flew with Jetstar and they wieghed and measured all the on board luggage while we checked in. The bag had to fit within a display frame they had set up and wiegh under 10kg ( this was leaving Osaka-Japan ).
80-400 zoom , thats a nice zoom. Thanks I will have a nice trip. Its my third time there, really nice place. Your well travelled, you might have been there Bernie. Aviation wise they have a fantastic area to take photos from in Osaka (skyview). The Mrs has allowed me one afternoon there :-).

Thanks for the tip with the batteries Owen.
Old 7th January 2011, 04:07 PM

I have knowledge of the battery issue to which Owen refers.

Not because I was sprung, but I like Lithiums for my camera.

On a huge trip "to me/ us" we were advised dont take more than a "few" batteries, my camera takes 4.

We took a couple of sets (in cabin luggage) on the basis we might lose em.

It was all Ok.

Take em with you on board with you , I wasnt aware of what Owen is telling you're allowed "as many as you want" "protected". I knew the protected bit.

I am happy he has more info than I had when I did this trip. Wish I had asked the question before I travelled.

I was never challenged when I travelled all the same.

My subsequent purchases of Lithiums to take on board was never challenged.

So I cant and dont complain, but you cant have too much information.

Hey! have a great trip.

Three times in Japan, hanging out for the fourth. I swear.

Kind regards,

Geoff

Last edited by Geoff W; 7th January 2011 at 04:17 PM. Reason: tidy up
Old 7th January 2011, 04:47 PM

Travel insurance won't help you if you wanted to use your camera(s) on your trip and you lose them on the way there.
Old 7th January 2011, 05:28 PM

I've always found that if I wear my backpack they never weigh it, even though its always far too heavy.

When I travel with my friend who uses a trolley backpack, its always weighed though never too heavy.

Jetstar long haul are pretty good, and not as tight as the short haul version - at least in my experiences (20 odd domestic, and 2 Japan return flights)

Flown:
Boeing, Airbus, Douglas, Bombardier, De Havilland Canada, Ilyushin, Yakovlev, Tupolev, Shorts, ATR, McDonnell Douglas, Fokker, Embraer, British Aerospace, Antonov.
Old 7th January 2011, 06:24 PM

I carry a back pack camera bag.The only time i have ever had problems was on a QF international on a domestic leg.My camera bag was over weight so i had to see the check in staff.I put my heaviest camera and lens on my neck and let the weigh the bag.Once that was done i just put the camera and lens back in.Problem solved.Yes it is a very heavy backpack to carry.