Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th September 2010, 03:08 PM

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-...5xh2.html#poll

Cheers

M
Old 30th September 2010, 05:40 PM

Last edited by Robert S; 30th September 2010 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Mod deleted the post I was replied to - no need to leave my response
Old 30th September 2010, 08:59 PM

VH-FKA operated another charter for Virgin tonight. Came in from BNE
Old 1st October 2010, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Grima View Post
What a bunch of crap. Ground handlers have been around for ages. I don't think people would expect QF have their own reservations/check in/baggage/boarding staff at every city they fly to!

---------

My first A380 flight in December
Old 2nd October 2010, 11:06 PM

I'm flying to Melbourne on DJ818 on Tuesday morning and received two emails, one to my work address for which the booking was made and one to my home address which is linked to my Velocity account. Details below;

Important service message about your upcoming Virgin Blue flight

"Dear Guest,

The Virgin Blue Group of Airlines recently experienced flight delays and cancellations due to an IT system failure at our external supplier. We have identified the underlying issue with our primary operating system and this has now been resolved.

Following extensive planning we are scheduling to transition back to our primary IT system, starting at 10pm on Tuesday, 5 October (AEST). We intend to resume operating on our primary system from the first flight on Thursday 7 October.

A flight you have booked is scheduled during this period and will operate as planned. There is no need to reconfirm your flight arrangements with us. In the event of any changes to your flight we will contact you.

There may be some unavoidable changes to the usual level of service we provide, including possible longer check-in wait times.

To ensure you are there with plenty of time to make your flight, please arrive at the airport 2 hours before your scheduled departure, when Check-in for your flight will open.

If you are not travelling with checked baggage you can skip the queue if you use our Web Check-in service online within 24 hours prior to departure. This service is available until 8pm Tuesday, 5 October (AEST).

Please be aware that our Guest Contact Centre agents will be unable to make any changes or cancellations to your booking from 9pm Tuesday, 5 October (AEST), until the system is fully operational.

For more information and latest updates please visit virginblue.com.au.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

The team at Virgin Blue"

I'd say the daylight savings changeover will cause some issues.

Darren
Old 2nd October 2010, 11:41 PM

Exclamation Big call?

To roll back to an inhouse system suggests that the cloud solution has been given the flick - big call!
Old 3rd October 2010, 12:18 AM

I don't read it as that Philip - they say 'primary' system, not 'in-house'. There's no reason a primary system couldn't be provided by an external supplier.
Old 3rd October 2010, 07:03 AM

I read the press release as they are putting the current system in the bin, and an old mothballed system is being turned back on
Old 3rd October 2010, 09:52 PM

Their primary system failed last week, and they have been on a DR system for the last week. They are now ready to go back to the primary system.
Old 11th October 2010, 11:49 PM

Post ASX / Media Release

http://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/2010101...7vm835mtj4.pdf

Quote:
BRISBANE, 11 October 2010: On Sunday, 26 September Virgin Blue Group experienced a complete outage of its Navitaire/Accenture hosted reservations, check-in and related operating systems, resulting in a severe interruption to its business for 11 days. The systems were restored to the normal production environment on Wednesday, 6 October.

An initial assessment of this interruption shows an estimated pre tax profit impact of $15-20 million. Virgin Blue will be actively pursuing all avenues to recover this cost.

Prior to the outage the Group had seen an improvement in general trading conditions when compared to the corresponding period last year.