Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th September 2010, 08:51 PM

Is this not the second time in recent past this has happend to Virgin?
Old 26th September 2010, 09:13 PM

I've tried a Google, can't find any hits for a previous computer failure in the recent past. The most recent event I can find was on 15 Dec 2009 when a Telstra failure prevented them from doing normal check-in in Melbourne.

http://www.theage.com.au/travel/trav...1216-kuyt.html

The most recent Australian failure of a computerised reservation system, preventing normal check-in nationally appears to be that of Qantas 3 Jan 2010.

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-...0103-lnbd.html
http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=4639

EDIT: Found DJ did have a brief outage in June, shortly after New Skies was installed. I was out of the country at the time, hence don't remember it.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/riskfactor/...system-crashes
http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-...0618-ymdr.html
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...ction=business

Last edited by Robert S; 27th September 2010 at 12:53 AM.
Old 27th September 2010, 01:54 AM

Gee, I feel sorry for all those passengers stranded around Australia and whose travel arrangements have been thrown into chaos. It could not have happened at a worse time - AFL Grand Final weekend in Victoria and a long weekend and the beginning of school holidays in several states.

I've been stranded or delayed on several occasions ; caused by strikes in the 80s and 90s and a delay by the massive gas explosion in Victoria some years ago. A strike by Ansett hosties in April 1981 saw me stranded in Sydney for nearly a week after Easter and I only got back to Darwin when the Government allowed domestic passengers to be carried by QANTAS. So I flew back from Sydney on B747-238, VH-EBK, via Brisbane.

And I also feel very sorry for the hard pressed Virgin Blue counter staff who will be working tirelessly to get people moving but who will be on the wrong end of abuse from some very frazzled and angry passengers. Some people will just not understand that the problem is beyond the control of counter staff.

And no, I don't work for VB or any other airline but did have a long career in a customer service based industry.

I sincerely hope the problem gets solved quickly.
Old 27th September 2010, 09:47 AM

As of 4:45am this morning, the computer system is now back up & running.
Old 27th September 2010, 10:19 AM

Smile Virgin Blue glitch

A work colleague of mine went down to Melbourne for the weekend and was due to fly back with Virgin Blue last night. When she was on her way to the airport to fly back to Sydney she heard about the problem. She ran from one end of the terminal to the Qantas one and stood in the queue. It ended up costing her $600 for a business class seat so she get home in time for work today. Apparently business class was totally full.
Old 27th September 2010, 07:06 PM

Looks like the airline has leased VH-YQA to cope with the backlog.
Operated an afternoon flight from BNE-SYD.
Not sure if Strategic Airlines were planning a positioning move which then turned into a revenue flight between the two cities or if its hired to will fly multiple legs on behalf of DJ.
Old 27th September 2010, 08:40 PM

have a thought for those frontline customer service staff who have to cop the abuse dealing with all of these passengers - and passengers these days often have short fuses as well... from stories I've heard it appears communication wasn't very clear and the lack of directions and information caused a huge amount of damage to the brand. Though as you would expect in such a situation it was so busy I am sure it wouldve been impossible to provide clear information whilst staff were dealing with passengers and trying to find out what's happening in HQ.

Compared to previous check-in system glitches this one probably had the worst possible timing given it was the start of the NSW school holidays. I'd say Navitare will have to pay up big time in compo to Virgin Blue..
Old 27th September 2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam.S View Post
or if its hired to will fly multiple legs on behalf of DJ.
It flew DJ966 and DJ977. A bit of a shock to see a white Virgin A320 rolling in to passengers I bet. Im sure they don't care and just wanted to get home.
Old 28th September 2010, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Customer can claim back the cost of the accommodation in return for 'Virgin flight credits' only - no monetary claim...
That seems very highly unlikely to me somehow and sounds like a misunderstanding between the offers of flight credits and reimbursement.

Their website and media releases appear to clearly indicate that anyone delayed over four hours will get a flight credit and those delayed over four hours who are or were not in their home town can claim up to $220/night for accomodation, as well as transport to/from the airport.
Old 28th September 2010, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
A friend got caught up in MEL heading back to SYD. DJ offered accommodation, but with the following conditions; customer must pay for the accommodation. Customer can claim back the cost of the accommodation in return for 'Virgin flight credits' only - no monetary claim...
That's awesome Andrew!

Now explain to me what other airlines like Tiger (if you can call them an airline) and Jetstar would do in a situation such as this? Provide free hotel accomodation of the passengers choice as well as free transport and a refund of their flights?

Hardly...

If I remember correctly, the last disrupt Jetstar had in MEL, they made pax sleep in the terminal