Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th December 2010, 07:15 PM

Default Trip Report: DJ & TT BNE-ROK-BNE (lots of pics)

Hi all,

On Saturday I went to Rockhampton for a couple of hours just for fun, so I thought I’d post a report.
Back in September I was just looking through some Australian airlines websites, and I saw on the Tiger Airways Australia site that there was a sale on BNE-ROK-BNE flights, $14.95 one-way. So I thought I’d go up to Rockhampton for a day trip seeing as I’d never been there before. I looked up some random dates during the travel period and found a $14.95 fare for ROK-BNE on December 4. So then I had to figure out how to get up to Rocky, since Jetstar don’t fly there anymore it was between Qantaslink and Virgin Blue, both airlines also had a sale on BNE-ROK-BNE flights and it was the same, $65 one-way. I chose Virgin Blue because Qantaslink didn’t have the departure/arrival time I wanted. So I booked the flights which ended up costing me exactly $100. And before I knew it, it was December 4!

Spotting in Brisbane
Mum dropped me off at the Qantas end of the terminal at 1000 (2 hours before my flight) so I could do a bit of spotting. Since I had done the web check in and only had carry on I went straight to security which was very quiet and I was up at the boarding gates very quickly. The first aircraft I saw was Qantaslink Q400 VH-QOW (Taronga Western Plains Zoo livery) parked with all the other Qantaslink aircraft. I was very happy to see QOW as I hadn’t seen her in this livery yet and I thought she was still based in Sydney. Parked near QOW was another two Q400s (QOJ and QOP). There were a lot of spare gates at the Qantas terminal, only three B737s were there (TJR, VYE and VXS which soon departed for Perth). I then saw Cathay Pacific Airbus A330-300 B-HLQ arrive from Hong Kong and G450 VH-MBP depart for Rabaul, Papua New Guinea. One of the Q400s (can’t remember which one) then departed for Rockhampton where I would soon be and a Dash 8-300 (TQD) arrived from Bundaberg. I then walked further down the terminal to the common user terminal, where I found absolutely nothing, very quiet. So then I walked down to the Virgin Blue part where I found two aircraft (VBN and another -700 that I couldn’t identify). So I looked at the departure screens and saw that my flight would be arriving at Gate 39 so I bought a coke, found a seat and just sat down waiting for my flight, thought it was going to be busier. A few more domestic flights had since arrived but I didn’t bother walking down to the other end of the terminal as it was just the normal stuff. Anyway here are some photos.

QOW with Taronga Western Plains Zoo livery

Cathay Pacific arriving from Hong Kong

After 1030 it started to get busier, Eva Air Airbus A330-200 B-16308 departed for Taipei, Alliance Fokker 100 VH-FKK from Adelaide (I think) operating for Virgin Blue, a few Virgin Blue, Qantas and Qantaslink aircraft departed and then more arrived, another Alliance Fokker 100 (VH-FWI) arrived from Rockhampton operating for Qantaslink, Jetstar Airbus A320-200 VH-VGF arrived from Melbourne on her first visit to Brisbane (didn’t know she had been delivered yet!), Qantas Airbus A330-300 VH-QPG departed for Hong Kong and Air New Zealand Boeing 747-400 ZK-NBU departed for Auckland. Here are some more photos.

Eva Air off to Taipei

Brand new VGF arrives from Melbourne

‘Mount Gambier’ bound for Hong Kong

Beautiful 747 off to Auckland

At about 1130 there was an announcement that my flight to Rockhampton was to depart 30 minutes late at 1230 due to the aircraft coming in late from Newcastle, no worries, but it meant less time in Rocky, was supposed to be there for just over 2 hours but that was now down to an hour and a half. And then I saw an E190 arrive on RWY01 just before 1200 and knew that this one was mine, and it was in Pacific Blue livery so straight away I knew it was VH-ZPN as the only other E190 in Pacific Blue livery (VH-ZPM) was here as well. So Kanga Blue was to be operating my first Virgin Blue flight, my first Embraer and the aircraft to take me to Rocky for the first time, so a few firsts! Here are some photos of her arriving.

‘Kanga Blue’ arrives from Newcastle

Straight after my E190, a Thai Boeing 777-300 (HS-TKE) landed, I knew Thai were switching their five weekly Brisbane to Bangkok flights to the -300’s but I didn’t know it was today! So that was great as I just love 777-300s, I still like the -200s but I definitely prefer the -300s.

‘Kanga Blue’ comes into the gate with the Thai beast slowing down on RWY01 behind her.

‘Kanga Blue’ again but this time with a Jetstar A320 (VGU) behind

Thai T7 off to the international terminal

‘Kanga Blue’ (ZPN) now at the gate with Thai behind her again

My first E190 again, with a Jetstar A320 doing a go around in the background, probably due to the poor weather
Old 6th December 2010, 07:16 PM

Before boarding started I thought I would quickly go to the common user to check out the arrival/departure screens to see if my Tiger would be arriving from Melbourne ontime, and it was.

The brand new VH-VGF again, getting ready to go back to Melbourne

I then saw an Emirates A340-500 arrive on RWY01 (6 hours late!) and it was A6-ERG the aircraft involved in the accident in Melbourne a while back, seen here taxiing to the international terminal

Just after 1200 boarding commenced and I made my way to the boarding gate…

December 4, 2010
Virgin Blue
DJ1241
BNE-ROK
VH-ZPN ‘Kanga Blue’
Seat 20A

I was one of the last in line, after a couple minutes in line I was at the front, I had my boarding pass checked and I was on my way, I thought that everyone was going to get on board via the aerobridge but half way through the aerobridge there was a sign saying passengers sitting beyond row 13 go down the stairs, YEAH!! So I made my way down the stairs and on to the tarmac, and went up the rear stairs as I was about to go up the stairs I saw Etihad Airbus A330-200 A6-EYI at the end of the runway and also QOW taxiing out to the runway. Anyway here are some more photos.

About to go up the rear stairs onto my first Virgin Blue and Embraer aircraft

ZPN looking gorgeous!

Kanga Blue’s tail

So I hopped onboard and was greeted by one of the 3 flight attendants onboard, I made my way down the aircraft to row 20 to find a women sitting in my seat, I kindly told her that I was supposed to be seated in 20A so she moved over

View out my window, Virgin Blue Boeing 737-700 (can’t remember the reg) to our left and then of course the brand new VGF to our right (couldn’t see it though)

The crew apologized for the 30 minute delay and said that there was another 10 minute delay due to some late passengers and also getting the aircraft ready. So at about 1235 (supposed to leave at 1200) we pushed back from gate 39, the crew did the normal safety demonstration and we were on our way

Push back

Taxiing out to RWY01 as QF15 to Los Angeles (operated by Boeing 747-400 VH-OJE) roars down RWY01, it was awesome to watch the beast takeoff so close

We taxied right to the end of the runway (got a great view of the International terminal, even though I was on the wrong side of the plane)

We waited at the end of the runway, so I knew something was coming and I had my camera ready, and it was a Virgin Blue Boeing 737-800 (don’t know the reg) it had some great effects coming off the wing but I was quick enough to catch them

Lining up with RWY01

Rotating near the domestic terminal

And were up! With a great view of the domestic terminal

Passing ‘the loop’ and the GA Apron
Old 6th December 2010, 07:16 PM

Passing RWY14/32

Fokker 100 hiding down there

And then we were in the clouds, this was the view for the next 15-20 minutes

And then blue skies! Hadn’t seen the sky for weeks just the grey clouds.

Turning left

Cabin crew came through with the trolley about 25 minutes into the flight, I didn’t get anything, I was just going to buy something at the airport. Then the captain said that we had reached our cruising altitude of 38,000ft and that we would be starting our descent in a couple of minutes, very short flight from Brisbane to Rockhampton

Small speedbrake as we start our descent

YAY! It’s sunny in Rockhampton

Got some great views on descent

Some flooding

And more flooding

Didn’t know Rockhampton was one of the areas that recently received flooding, on finals for RWY15

And touchdown, my first time in Rockhampton
Old 6th December 2010, 07:18 PM

Passing the Rockhampton GA apron

Passing some military helicopters

Love the mountains in the background

Taxiing to the terminal

Rockhampton control tower

And parked at Gate 1

Inside the Embraer before getting off

Welcome to Rockhampton!

Exiting ‘Kanga Blue’

As soon as I got down the stairs I was told that I can’t take photos on the tarmac by one of the ground staff, she was very nice about it though, so I didn’t take any more. It was so nice walking to the terminal on the tarmac, it was nice and hot in Rockhampton, and very sunny, compared to rainy, cold, cloudy Brisbane

Rockhampton
I walked inside the terminal and had a quick look around, seemed like a very nice little airport. Walked outside and enjoyed the sunshine for 10 minutes before going back inside the terminal for some lunch, had my lunch at the public viewing area inside the terminal, just watching my E190 get ready for the return flight to Brisbane. Saw a RFDS Beechcraft land and also some biz jet, didn’t get any photos though, the viewing area is no good for photos. Anyway here are some photos inside the terminal

Arrival and departure screens

Some photos outside the terminal

Car Park

Old 6th December 2010, 07:18 PM

Pick up/drop off area

Back inside the terminal, the E190 getting ready to go back to Brisbane, taken from the public iewing are inside the terminal, as I said, it’s no good for photos

I finished my lunch and just stayed at the viewing area for a bit, then I saw my E190 starting up so I went outside to see her depart, found a good spot next to the terminal

Rockhampton Aero Club Cessna 150 VH-RZN, taxiing out to RWY15 behind the Embraer

VH-ZPN roars down RWY15

Some more photos inside and outside the terminal

Front of the terminal

Where I watched the Embraer take off

Front of the terminal again

Car park and pick up/drop off area

Baggage Carousel 1

Car hire and arrivals lounge

Baggage Carousel 2

Public viewing area
Old 6th December 2010, 07:20 PM

The small restaurant at the airport

Well after getting all the photos I wanted (forgot about the check in area) I went through security which was easy, very small security point and no one was in line at the time, and I sat down in the departure lounge, very nice lounge, a few hundred seats and two TVs, one had the Ashes on, and the other the Sydney 500 and 1 screen with the departures, a drink machine and 4 boarding gates. Since my flight didn’t leave for about 45 minutes I took my iPod out of my bag and went on the net using the free Wi-Fi in the Rockhampton terminal. I went on balus first and saw that the Tiger flight to Rocky had left 10 minutes early and that it was VH-VND, and just as I saw this it landed on RWY15. About 2-3 minutes later it pulled into Gate 4 and it was definitely VH-VND, my first Tiger aircraft, first A320 and the aircraft to take me back home to Brisbane! Here are some photos of the departure lounge and the A320.

The very nice departure lounge, one of the screens and the coke machine

The other screen down there with the Ashes, didn’t really want to watch so I stayed at the other end

The Tiger (VH-VND) at Gate 4

At about 1450, parents with children and people sitting in the exit rows were called for boarding, followed by people seated in row 20-30, followed by people seated in row 10-19 and finally people seated in rows 1-9 (that’s me!), again, I was one of the last in line. I had my boarding pass checked which was easy, and then I made my way out to the Tiger. There was a bit of a line to get on the plane so I found myself just standing in line in the sun for about 2-3 minutes which I didn’t mind, and then it was my turn to board.

December 4, 2010
Tiger Airways Australia
TT9102
ROK-BNE
VH-VND
Seat 8A

So I get on board and am greeted by a male flight attendant, I find row 8, and again there is someone in my seat! So I asked one of the flight attendants to help me out, it took about 5 minutes but eventually it was all sorted out and I got my seat. As soon as I sat down I noticed how little leg room there was compared to the Embraer. In the E190 my legs were about 5cm behind the seat in front of me, but in the A320 my legs were touching the seat in front. I also noticed how much more comfortable the E190 seats were. Also the man sitting behind me was quite tall so his legs were going into my seat which was quite uncomfortable. Anyway, time for some more photos!

Outside the Tiger just before we start taxiing

The Rockhampton terminal from the aircraft

The safety demonstration was done as we started taxiing, while I was at Rockhampton, there was a runway change, RWY33 was now in use

Leaving the terminal behind

Taxiing to RWY33

After the fairly quick taxi, seen lining on with RWY33

Lined up and ready to go

Passing the terminal

And were up!

Got a fantastic view of the city of Rockhampton as we climbed out
Old 6th December 2010, 07:21 PM

Goodbye Rockhampton! And goodbye blue skies and sunshine!

Still climbing

At our cruising altitude of 24,000ft

The trolley came through once we got to our cruising altitude, again, I didn’t buy anything

Right hand turn

Descending into Brisbane with a nice rainbow

Gap in the clouds, the rainbow stayed for quite a while

Window view

I can see the Gabba and the City!

Could see the Gabba and the City for quite a while, the clouds kept blocking it though

Brisbane CBD

About to go over the Brisbane river

Going over the Brisbane river, gateway bridges were on the other side

On finals for RWY01, flying over the old ITB with a Strategic A320 parked there, and one of Clive Palmers MD-82s parked nearby

Flying over Aviation Australia, there Boeing 727, BAe-146 and some light aircraft are visible, 3 Alliance Fokker 100s can be seen parked on a taxiway nearby

International terminal
Old 6th December 2010, 07:21 PM

Not busy at this time of day, only a Jetstar A320 and a Pacific Blue B738 (just out of the shot) at the international

Slowing down on RWY01

Parked at the terminal, common user section

Inside the Tiger, just about to hop off

Getting off via the front stairs

Leaving the Tiger behind

Soon to be leaving for Melbourne

Arrival and departure screens, first Strategic flight from Bali via Townsville due back tonight

I thought we would be walking up some stairs and into the terminal, but we ended up going under the common user terminal and came out at the baggage carousels, went outside the terminal to try and find my mum. I couldn’t find her so I called her and found out that she hadn’t left the house, so a 45 minute wait outside the terminal, but I said I would walk to the loop and she could pick me up from there which would be easier. So I walked to the loop which took 20 minutes and I waited there. While I was waiting I saw VH-VND depart for Melbourne and P2-ANA arrive from Port Moresby. Here are some photos.

Walking to the loop, passed some Qantas aircraft

The Tiger going home to Melbourne

GA Apron, usually only have one AAE BAe-146 park here, but had two

Air Niugini arrives from Port Moresby

Just after 5pm my mum showed up (just before it started pouring down with rain). Got home just before 6pm, and that’s the end of my report. Enjoy!

Conclussion: My first time doing something like this, have only ever flown to go visit family, or for a holiday. And I loved it, can't wait for my day trip to Sydney in March. Was my first time flying by myself.

Also first time flying Virgin Blue and Tiger Airways, I thought they were both very good airlines. All my family and friends were saying I might not be coming home for a while cause Tiger will delay or cancel my flight and i'll be sleeping in the terminal. But the flight ended up being 10 minutes early, Virgin Blue flight was just over 30 minutes late but that didn't really bother me.

Would have to say I prefered the Embraer over the A320. A lot more legroom and the seats were way more comfortable. Both airlines were very good though, friendly crew, new aircraft. The flights were good, a bit of turbulence on the flight over. And yeah, had a gret trip and would like to visit Rockhampton again, but next time I would stay a little longer and go into town.
Old 6th December 2010, 07:32 PM

Nice report Brandon,

How are the movements in ROK and are there any nearby places to check out the runway?
Old 7th December 2010, 12:24 PM

Hi Tim,

Thanks. While I was in Rockhampton all I saw was the E190 go back to BNE, a RFDS Beechcraft and some biz jet arrive and a Cessna 150 taking off and landing every 5-10 minutes for about half an hour. And then of course my Tiger A320 coming in from BNE.

I know Virgin have five flights a day (four on Sundays) from BNE-ROK with E190s, daily SYD-ROK flights with E170s and 6 weekly flights from TSV-ROK also with E170s.

Tiger have daily BNE-ROK flights (ends Feb 7) with A320s and three weekly AVV-ROK flights (changing back to MEL from Feb 7) also with A320s.

And Qantaslink have about 9-10 flights on weekdays from BNE-ROK with 2 of these continuing onto CNS via MKY and TSV and 2 of these going via GLT.

I just stayed around the terminal while I was there. Check out this site, it should help you out.
http://cqplanespotting.blogspot.com/...locations.html