Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31st December 2010, 02:27 PM

I'm not convinced. Borghetti claims to be a new-age carrier but his actions indicate anything but. It sounds to me like DJ is regressing into just another airline doing more of what other Airlines do. The fleet type increases, alliances and business class activities seems like it's more and more like Qantas and co.

What happened to that youthful go-getter, start up Airline from a few years ago? It this what it means to survive or make money in 2011 and beyond?
Old 31st December 2010, 04:34 PM

Cool

I think you'll find that "New World Airline" was a Godfreyism, not from Borghetti. He appears to have avoided that idea completely and gone a little more "mainstream" in his company direction.

I've dealt with him before in a previous airline life, and am happy to have him at the helm in my current. He is a man of action, doesn't suffer fools, and is a fair boss. Qantas' loss, actually

Quite the opposite to what they have on their management "team" over at the sheltered workshop that is Qantas.
Old 2nd January 2011, 10:12 AM

I still think the A330 will add further complexities to their operations (737s, Ejets, 777s and soon A330s), though going mainstream is a good move. I think the partnerships with Etihad is an interim strategy to make better use of the 77W (instead of being flown to Phuket or Jo'burg) for the time being until they figure out where they want to expand/grow internationally in the next 5 years (the big question mark is where in Asia). This role/challenge will keep JB busy for at least the next 3 years if not more.
JB is also very well connected and will use his influence to his advantage, the Etihad/Air New Zealand/Delta strategies are great examples. It's a good case of befriending your competitor's competitors.

The best way of figuring how well they do in 2011 and beyond is to look at their share price.
Old 7th January 2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jarse View Post
I think you'll find that "New World Airline" was a Godfreyism, not from Borghetti. He appears to have avoided that idea completely and gone a little more "mainstream" in his company direction.

I've dealt with him before in a previous airline life, and am happy to have him at the helm in my current. He is a man of action, doesn't suffer fools, and is a fair boss. Qantas' loss, actually

Quite the opposite to what they have on their management "team" over at the sheltered workshop that is Qantas.
Thanks Mate. I hear you, yet despite your optimism, I'll wait and see how he goes. Really, I've enjoyed their fun 'no problem' approach since they stated. I'd hate to see them lose that and become a Qantas clone or worse.... Ansett.
Old 10th January 2011, 10:12 AM

I am not sure what forum I read this on .... but someone hinted that Virgin Blue was going to get Turbo Props...

Now they are!!!

ASX Link

Virgin Blue and Skywest - 10 year partnership - 18 new Turboprops!

http://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/2011011...df1l79dkrn.pdf
Old 10th January 2011, 10:22 AM

Any idea what the specific aircraft they are planning on using. The release doesn't give much away!
Old 10th January 2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B View Post
Any idea what the specific aircraft they are planning on using.
Lots of rumors around point the ATR-72 being the aircraft. I'd believe it when I see it though.
Old 10th January 2011, 08:55 PM

that's a fairly smart arrangement - it's similar to the US/canada style regional airline outsourcing arrangements. As to the props it probably comes down to ATR72 vs Dash 8-400s?
Old 10th January 2011, 11:32 PM

why you would get rid of the E170s and replace them with ATRs/Q400s is counterproductive I suggest .. just my thoughts..
Old 11th January 2011, 12:23 AM

Why, the 170's and for that matter any jet will not make money on routes less than 200- 250 miles. Plus flight times over such short routes are within 5-10 mins of a jet while burning a lot less fuel whist carrying the same number of passengers.