Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th January 2013, 07:54 AM
Prolific Member

Default Bird strike video

I first saw this a few years ago at a bird strike conference. Unfortunately it's not on YouTube.

Make sure the volume is on. It may take a few minutes to load, so when you open it go and make a cup of coffee....

http://www.birdstrike.org/meetings/2...lbeer_open.pdf

It's quite a reality check to see the damage that our feathered friends can cause.
Old 8th January 2013, 09:19 AM

Work educational video Nige? ;-)

I've had a few good bird strikes in my career so far. The best though, would have to be 2 Brolga's that I had go through both props at the same time in the King Air, while departing a cattle station in Northern QLD. Unfortunately I was at the point where I was committed to go (rejected take off might not have been pretty), and thankfully there was minimal damage to the aircraft and it was back flying after an inspection by an engineer. The amount of blood and guts (sorry if you were just finishing that coffee) was quite a sight though. All over several windows down one side, and the worst part was all the B&G's that went over the exhausts, baked on the trip home. The smell after I opened the door in Mount Isa - smelt similar to KFC funnily enough, .

There's no doubt they can do some damage!

Mick
Old 8th January 2013, 09:44 AM

My most memorable bird strike involved two small red coloured Scarlet Robins on take-off, after point of no return, both crossed each other and 'plopped' themselves on either windscreen simultaneously in almost the same spot.

The best way I can summarise it was like playing a real life version of 'Angry Birds'
Old 8th January 2013, 12:28 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

I had a Pelican coming nose on at 1500ft off Narrabeen, when I turned a bit to the left to avoid it, he turned right to continue closing on me. I made sure I stayed well clear, I have seen what a chicken can do to a PA-28 windscreen, not a pretty sight if it hits on your side.
Old 8th January 2013, 01:05 PM
Prolific Member

The closest I came to a strike when I used to fly was at 6500' near Bindook in a Warrior. I didn't see it until the last second when it stood on its tail to avoid me but the silhouette of a wedge-tailed eagle going over me by less than 30' is something I'll never forget. The expletives that came from my wife are forever etched in my mind too.
Old 8th January 2013, 08:52 PM

I've cleaned up a sparrow in my dads xtrail....does that count ;-)

Cheers

M
Old 8th January 2013, 10:07 PM
Prolific Member

Did you fill out a bird strike report?
Old 9th January 2013, 12:12 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

I had a Magpie swoop down in front of the car driving down to Canberra, he did not re-appear and I had to stop and remove the carcass from under the grill. Driving home from work, a Sulphur Crested Cockatoo swooped down across the bonnet and took out my radio aerial. The family started calling me the "Bird Murderer".